Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

obligatory: new guy from OR (kinda long)

Erik D

Hey all, I guess this is protocol here huh? I shot my first USPSA shoot last month and I'm hooked. I've had a lot of tactical handgun training over the past 11+ years (LE stuff), but this was my first time in a competition setting. I used my duty gun (G17) and did OK for my first time out. Shooting production, I got 7th overall out of 17 against mostly open and limited shooters (6 stages: 12th in one, 3rd in another, two 7th and two 8th place stage results). It wasn't an official USPSA sanctioned event, but it was against USPSA members at a club I belong to, and USPSA rules were enforced.

I was so hooked I went out and got a new G34 and put in a Ghost trigger kit (connector and all the springs...pull measures at 4# or just a bit under)and Warren/Sevigny sights. Following suggestions, I got the Blade Tech DOH holster, Safariland 773 mag pouches and a CR Speed belt. Right now, I'm running three mag pouches but will probably get one more at some point. My second shoot is Saturday, and I still have some questions, so here goes.

Would you all suggest I stay in the production class, or move to limited? The only real difference would be I can load my mags to 17 instead of 10. Based on my past experience and having an idea about the demographics of those that participate, there are very few production shooters at the club I go to. With the exception of one stage last time (flubbed mag change and penalties for missing a target), I smoked the other production shooters. I guess the advantage of staying in the production class means more mag change practice. The advantage of being in the limited class means less mag changes = faster stage times theoretically, however I did most of my mag changes between stage sections.

As an aside, I'm working on my grip since I've typically held my Glocks like a revolver (support thumb covering my strong hand thumb because I have really big hands) and have been working on a typical semi-auto grip with both thumbs pointing forward. I'm a pretty good shot and changing my grip has been hard to do since I'm trying to overcome a lot of muscle memory, but I think this will improve my shooting in the long run. The G34 is super accurate with the extra sight radius, and I'm getting used to the lighter trigger. I've only put a couple hundred rounds through it, and I know there is no substitute for trigger time, but I have a full time job, three kids and a wife that take almost all of my time. I'm also trying to figure out a way to actually practice this stuff; I don't have access to steel targets. It's a work in progress.....

Try both but remember, you will most likely be competing against other limited shooters that are being scored "major" instead of "minor" like you will be scored with the 9mm. If you aren't sure what I'm talking about, .40 & larger are scored "major" power factor which is a definite advantage. A is still 5 pts major or minor but a B or C in Major scoring is 4pts, minor is 3pts, & D in major is 2pts but only 1pt in minor. The points are a definite disadvantage but you may make up a bit of that if you put big bases on your mags & yours will hold 22 + 1 in the chamber where mg35 will only hold 20 + 1 so occasionally one less reload will pay off.

There is a book by a guy on here named Steve Anderson that is full of "dry fire" drills that you can do at home in your spare time. Those are a big help, especially if you can't get out & practice!

MLM

Welcome Eric!!

You are in the right state and season for shooting. Spring and Summer in Oregon is great.

I regularly shoot USPSA at Albany. There are also ton of great matches coming up.

This weekend is the Man of Steel. www.orss.org I highly recommend it and EVERY shooter gets a nice knife from the prize table.

Also check out columbia-cascade.org and we also have a new forum for NW ipsc shooters @ www.ipscnw.ning.com

I'm also a glock jockey for the last five years. I would be willing to help however I can. Hope to meet you on the range soon.

Eric, like shootsinrain said you are in a great section for uspsa shooting. There are lots of great matches held here every month and most are less then an hour away from where you live. Drrc puts on a good training match but you should try to make it to one of the other uspsa sanctioned matches. There are quite a few very good shooters in each division here and when you shoot with them its like getting a free lesson. There is a different element to the game from your home range to the other matches/facilities. In short, just shoot more matches.

Eric, like shootsinrain said you are in a great section for uspsa shooting. There are lots of great matches held here every month and most are less then an hour away from where you live. Drrc puts on a good training match but you should try to make it to one of the other uspsa sanctioned matches. There are quite a few very good shooters in each division here and when you shoot with them its like getting a free lesson. There is a different element to the game from your home range to the other matches/facilities. In short, just shoot more matches.

Nick,

I'm a DRRC member, so I now go to the action pistol matches every 1st Saturday of the month. Maybe late summer or early fall I'll step up and go to Tri County for one of their matches; they seem to have a larger turn out with more competitive shooters. Right now, though, once a month is all I can swing with my family needs. I gave up motorcycling (long story, but it had to be done) and my wife understands my passion for the shooting sports, so she's been pretty good about my time, but I have to keep a balance otherwise she won't be so good about it in the future.

I also did some dry fire practice and was able to fine tune some hand position issues and trigger press positions. I'm really looking forward to using my new gear on Saturday, and it's not supposed to rain! Hopefully I can shoot a box or two tomorrow during lunch.

If you can only shoot one match a month my suggestion would be to shoot tri county. Its close by, the stage design is great, and there is usually a good turn out with great competition. Plus, you don't need to be a range member to shoot uspsa at any of the clubs I have been to so you wont have to pay for another membership.

Eric I'll being shooting at Douglas Ridge tomorrow I've been doing this for quite awhile let me know if I can help you.

Tim Bentley

Tim, I'll see you there. I'll be in all navy blue (BDU pants, sweatshirt) and balding gray hair.