Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Who makes S&W Model 41 Magwells?

Jaxshooter

most of us for Team Challenge just bevel the mag well with a file. But check with EGW and find out what Doug K. uses

putting the base pads on the mags is just enough to seat the mag in the well. any thing more and the mag base would have to be huge

Edited by AlamoShooter

Hi G-Man:

I've posted this info several times, but I'll add it here as well. The mag wells were made by PA gunsmith Randy Hollowbush. They are a nice touch to the M41...

Good Shootin',

TGR

Sorry, must have missed it before...thx!

• 3 weeks later...

Which base pads are being used on the mags?

unless some-one cam up with something better. = The Willson 1911 SS base pads look the best , you do have to drill and tap the bottom of the mag for the screws.

Some-one must have come up with something better than that though.

I got cheep and made some out of 1" thick nylon chop block material.

• 2 weeks later...

Randy did make the magwell for the 41 you saw. I work there part time and he is in the process of making some at this time. contact him if you want one. He does all sorts of nifty stuff to get the 41 to perform better than it already does stock. He used to shoot with Doug K at the team challenge and STC

The handgunner Gunshop

17 West Weis Street

Topton PA 19562

610-682-6714

When Randy finishes my magwell and I get it on the gun I will let you know what I come up with for a base pad.

you can use some of the old school narrow base pads that screw into the bottem of the mag, Randy just says the S&W mags are a bugger to drill adn tap. I guess they are hard stuff.

Randy did make the magwell for the 41 you saw. I work there part time and he is in the process of making some at this time. contact him if you want one. He does all sorts of nifty stuff to get the 41 to perform better than it already does stock. He used to shoot with Doug K at the team challenge and STC

The handgunner Gunshop

17 West Weis Street

Topton PA 19562

610-682-6714

Does he make a thumbguard for the strong hand to keep it off the slide? With a set of trainers on mine and a high grip, I find the right thumb rubbing.

• 4 months later...

Finally got a chance to install the magwell. Somewhat painless.

A synthetic kitchen cutting board that I had mangled for some other reason provided the material for the magazine basepads. Epoxied them on.

Used the existing holes in the Bully to mount a longer thumbguard.

DSCF0115.JPG

Edited by Litlratt

Finally got a chance to install the magwell. Somewhat painless.

A synthetic kitchen cutting board that I had mangled for some other reason provided the material for the magazine basepads. Epoxied them on.

Used the existing holes in the Bully to mount a longer thumbguard.

Looks good...guess I'll have to order one now!

Edited by G-ManBart

That is one sexy 41. Does the comp actually work?

JL

You can judge for yourself, but I sure think it does. This was one of the first times I shot it, and you can see that as I sort of adjust my grip pressure the muzzle moves less towards the end. You can see my grin start at the end of the video...lol. That was with CCI-SV and the dot doesn't come close to leaving the window. It's just an awesome, awesome combination! Now, if we can only get Billy to convince a certain someone to start making these barrels (Ray retired, so no more Bullys will be available).

Edited by G-ManBart

That grin tells all. That is too cool for school! May I ask what a magwell is for? I don't understand the need with SCSA. Is is just asthetics, or does it actually serve a pourpose like saving your grips or something?

That grin tells all. That is too cool for school! May I ask what a magwell is for? I don't understand the need with SCSA. Is is just asthetics, or does it actually serve a pourpose like saving your grips or something?

You're right...not much need for one for SC shooting. I suspect some folks like them for balance, or grip index reasons. Personally, I just think it looks pretty cool :P

What are the worst two words you can hear after a Steel Challenge run? "Nice reload"...lol

I thought about it for a second, and was wondering who makes a bikini holster and mag pouches!! I was going to shoot optical revo & limited next year, but I already have a model 41 with wrong handed target grips! Now I have a perfect excuse to butcher them!! I will definitely be in touch with Billy.

Littlerat can you post the other side of the gun to see the mount?

JL

I thought about it for a second, and was wondering who makes a bikini holster and mag pouches!! I was going to shoot optical revo & limited next year, but I already have a model 41 with wrong handed target grips! Now I have a perfect excuse to butcher them!! I will definitely be in touch with Billy.

Littlerat can you post the other side of the gun to see the mount?

JL

No mount, it bolts directly to the barrel...unless you were asking about the thumb guard. R,

Edited by G-ManBart