Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

April

benos

scap99,

Nice work on the Blue Cliff Record's Case 48!

First, bear in mind that I'm not a Buddha. But I am on the top of the 100 foot pole ready to throw myself into the universe, with the meaning of JT's song in mind.

Before you figure out what's coming, figure out the meaning of the song.

be

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

scap99,

Nice work on the Blue Cliff Record's Case 48!

First, bear in mind that I'm not a Buddha. But I am on the top of the 100 foot pole ready to throw myself into the universe, with the meaning of JT's song in mind.

Before you figure out what's coming, figure out the meaning of the song.

be

Thank you. I had never heard of the "100 foot pole" until your trivia question brought me to it. Coincidentally, this Blue Cliff Record's Case 48 has really had an effect on me. Plus, I'm really looking forward for the "light" to come on with JT's song.

In trying to work out the meaning, I wanted to hear the man sing it and try to feel his meaning.

In the first few seconds of this you tube video, JT himself says this song is about "loss of control".

In trying to work out the meaning, I wanted to hear the man sing it and try to feel his meaning.

In the first few seconds of this you tube video, JT himself says this song is about "loss of control".

Loss of control for whom?

be

be

Me, you, all of us, the human race. Our logic and "thinking" keeps us from experiencing things like an infant does for the first time. We've lost our sense of "wonderment". We have words and answers we attach to everything, and that blinds us.

be

Me, you, all of us, the human race. Our logic and "thinking" keeps us from experiencing things like an infant does for the first time. We've lost our sense of "wonderment". We have words and answers we attach to everything, and that blinds us.

There ye go.

After years of listening to the song MANY time, I suddenly realized the song is about conditioning. Conditioning is the reason for everything.

"We are riding on a railroad,"

Blind to the overwhelming force of conditioning we receive and accept from our immediate environment, we think, act, and live like all those around us do. We feel like an "individual," but we are all riding on thes same train.

"singing some else's song"

"My thoughts" are not "my" thoughts. I was born and raised in Ohio, so I learned to think and speak in English.

"Forever standing by the cross road. Take a side and step along."

Accepting conditioning as the only true reality, we "step along" with everyone else.

"We are sailing away on a river to the sea. Maybe you an me can meet again."

Our lives are spent floating down the river of conditioning, and at our death we reach the sea of our true, undivided, essential nature. We'll all meet there.

"Time to time I tire of the life that I've been leading

Town to town, day by day"

Although seldom acknowledged, there's a subtle current down deep in all of us that wonders, "Is this (my thoughts) all there is?"

"There's a man up here who claims to have his hands upon the reins.

There are chains upon his hands and he's riding upon a train."

Our leaders, gods or whoever claims to "know" are riding on the same train of conditioning we all are.

So with the sentiment of that song in mind, and not being a zen master, when I jump from the 100 foot pole - what's coming next?

be

Spiritually, I think you will experience a re-birth and view the world with new eyes.

To stay on top of the pole would only invite complacency, which seems counter to everything you have accomplished to this point. I feel like you're wanting to jump, not because you expect any certain outcome from it, but because you don't have any expectations and want to experience life unshackled.

Wow, all this is making my brain tingle!! You have me thinking about things that I haven't thought about or felt in quite some time. I don't know if you've ever had any experience with Qigong, but my "chi" is off the charts right now. I feel more aware and alive than I have in at least the last year. I've even noticed a substantial improvement in my shooting in my last couple of trips to the range.

I, in a most unexpected way, seem to have discovered a new gate to pass through.

Spiritually, I think you will experience a re-birth and view the world with new eyes.

To stay on top of the pole would only invite complacency, which seems counter to everything you have accomplished to this point. I feel like you're wanting to jump, not because you expect any certain outcome from it, but because you don't have any expectations and want to experience life unshackled.

Wow, all this is making my brain tingle!! You have me thinking about things that I haven't thought about or felt in quite some time. I don't know if you've ever had any experience with Qigong, but my "chi" is off the charts right now. I feel more aware and alive than I have in at least the last year. I've even noticed a substantial improvement in my shooting in my last couple of trips to the range.

I, in a most unexpected way, seem to have discovered a new gate to pass through.

That's wonderful to hear.

As far as winning the book goes, get simplier. I let go and jump - Ahhhh! What's coming next?

:)

You fall and hit the ground.

Then what?

be

Most likely you die from a traumatic brain injury, but it could also be from trauma to multiple body systems, a spinal cord injury, etc...... :D :D

Before you fall and hit the ground (and in the moment of impact) you'd feel and experience a few things though..... :D

....and you wouldn't be delusional about being an individual, while experiencing life in virtually identical terms of expression.....

You hit the ground and die. Then you are re-born and climb the pole again.

Actually, I'm beginning to feel that "death" is the whole point of stepping off the pole. The part of you that is restricted dies, and allows you to be you.

You hit the ground, then climb the pole again. Up then down, just like a kid on a slide.

:)

I like that.

But I'm dead.

:cheers:

To Quote you Brian, once you hit the ground...."Our lives are spent floating down the river of conditioning, and at our death we reach the sea of our true, undivided, essential nature. We'll all meet there.

What I think that means, is that at our deaths, we become all that we could be, leaving behind all all material thoughts and objects, therefore leaving all conditioning behind, becoming one with everything and everyone.

Edited by GrumpyOne

Ok, so i guess i didnt have the right answer. either way, here was my guess so the rest of you can have a clue:

i was thinking something along the lines of when you let go you are free. I always read a lot about freeing your mind when you shoot, etc etc. when you are at the top of the 100 ft pole and you let go...you are then free, both body and mind.

idk, seemed like it was appropirate, haha.

and oh yea, i want a beer if someone else is buying :cheers:

Edited by Corey