benos

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I like this Maku Mozo!

We are seek security, constantly demanding that there shall be no disturbance; and is this desire not to be disturbed that makes us avoid what is and fear what might be. Fear is the ignorance of what is, and our life is spent in a constant state of fear.

-Krishnamurti

I also like Tool and Henry Rollins version:

If I let you, you would make me destroy myself. But in order to survive you, I must first survive myself. I can sink no further and I cannot forgive you. There's no choice but to confront you, to engage you, to erase you. I've gone to great lengths to expand my threshold of pain. I will use my mistakes against you. There's no other choice. Shameless now. Nameless now. Nothing now. No one now. But my soul must be iron cause my fear is naked. I'm naked and fearless.-

And my fear is nakeeeeeeeeed!

I think of this when I'm about to attack a stage, as the stage is my enemy, but I am my own enemy as well.

Today's Maku mozo! -

We are riding on a railroad,

singing someone else's song...

-Taylor

This should be a toughie. But maybe by saying that, it won't.

:)

A mental leap will be required...

be

Today's Maku mozo! -

-Taylor

be

Living life based on other folks and/or our own expectations, rather than just experiencing whatever opportunities and experiences come your way?

Today's Maku mozo! -

-Taylor

be

Today is tax freedom day for most Americans.

I can see taxes as being a "railroad" and singing someone else's song could be like having to pay for a ride you don't want to be on.

I'm probably out in right (wing extremist)field, but I think I made it fit.

1. Belief Systems

From http://theplaintruth.info/beliefsystemsare.html

This is a simplified overview of the belief systems of the world illustrating them as two main trees named Atheism and Theism.

1. Belief Systems

We are riding on a railroad

singing someone elses Song.

Forever standing at that crossroad

Pick a side and step along.

James Taylor

This is a simplified overview of the belief systems of the world illustrating them as two main trees named Atheism and Theism.

In the middle, on the fence, are the agnostics meaning we dont know. The atheists and the theists are both Gnostics meaning we know

Sometimes stating the obvious is a necessary preparation. While there are just a few mainline, popular belief systems, there are many subtle variations. Some are part of the articles of faith of organizations. Many more are the individuals personal variations. They can all be found, in some form, within the world views and religions The illustrations above contain a partial list. The word Gnostic is being used in the literal sense (we know) as the opposite of agnostic (we dont know).

Atheism:

From a (without) and theos (god).

The following definition is from Wikipedia

Atheism can be the rejection of theism, or the position that deities do not exist. In the broadest sense, it is the absence of belief in the existence of deities.It is interesting to note that the definition states that it can be a rejection of Theism. Some choose this belief system because of the absurd and irrational tenets of the system that they inherited. For others it is purely logical, intellectual, and scientific. There exists no empirical evidence of deity, therefore deity cannot exist. There are various arguments that represent different perspectives culminating in this system. The obvious benefit of this belief is freedom from the many ignorant superstitions of religion. When one is free from such ignorance it is difficult to imagine how anyone could be so stupid. A polarizing arrogance can be a negative result of such a perspective. There are some forms of religion that qualify as atheism. Certain forms of Buddhism and most of what is termed new thought (both in the Theist tree above) do not advocate belief in gods and so could also be termed Atheistic.

In the middle, on the fence, are the agnostics meaning we dont know. The atheists and the theists are both Gnostics meaning we know

Sometimes stating the obvious is a necessary preparation. While there are just a few mainline, popular belief systems, there are many subtle variations. Some are part of the articles of faith of organizations. Many more are the individuals personal variations. They can all be found, in some form, within the world views and religions The illustrations above contain a partial list. The word Gnostic is being used in the literal sense (we know) as the opposite of agnostic (we dont know).

Agnostic:

Just as above the a indicating without and gnostic being knowing. Simply put We dont know

Dictionary.com says:

noun

1.a person who holds that the existence of the ultimate cause, as God, and the essential nature of things are unknown and unknowable, or that human knowledge is limited to experience.

2.a person who denies or doubts the possibility of ultimate knowledge in some area of study. Similar to the atheist view the agnostic seeing no proof of deity cannot believe but instead takes the position that the answers cannot be known. This belief system has the benefits of atheism without the pitfalls of knowing ........Bittersweet?

Theism:

Wikipedia has the following:

Theism in the broadest sense is the belief in the existence of a god or gods. In a more specific sense, theism refers to a particular doctrine concerning the nature of a God and his relationship to the universe. Theism, in this specific sense, conceives of a God as personal and active in the governance and organization of the world and the universe. The use of the word theism as indicating a particular doctrine of monotheism arose in the wake of the scientific revolution of the seventeenth century to contrast with the then emerging deism which contended that a God though transcendent and supreme did not intervene in the natural world and could be known rationally but not via revelation.

The highly populated tree of theists seems full of noisy crows. If you have ever seen a tree full of crows you know what a din it is. You have no chance of discerning anything intelligible. As rightly noted by the atheists and agnostics, the belief in a god or gods is un-provable or unknowable and thus is superstition. It seems an unavoidable conclusion that belief in supernatural beings and events is by definition superstition. From the earliest of times mankind has held superstitious beliefs and worshiped various gods. According to Hyperhistory.net in an article titled Monotheism and Polytheism

Monotheism is the belief in a single, all powerful God. The word Monotheism derives from the Greek words theos which means god and monos which means one. Polytheism is the belief in many gods. Polytheistic religions include all religions except Judaism, Christianity, Islam and Sikhism, the only monotheistic religions.

If it is true that all religions except those mentioned are polytheistic it is interesting to note that with the exception of Sikhism they all come from Abraham. The Sikh holy book which came about in 16th century India teaches one god, a brotherhood of man, and rejects idol worship, and the oppressive Hindu concept of caste. These concepts may have been borrowed from Abrahamic traditions. The above mentioned article also claims that religion began Monotheistic with Abraham and Moses, the story of Adam and Eve, and later de-evolved into Polytheism. Many argue that polytheistic faiths are more primitive and thus monotheism, a more advanced system, must have evolved from the former.

According to those who have no belief in God whatsoever, if polytheism came from monotheism, it must have de-evolved. It could not have evolved. (same source as above)

The arguments in this tree are endless. The two main branches simplified are essentially eastern and western thought. The concept of good and evil and the nature of God differs dramatically. Panthiesm, or many gods, generally sees good and evil as two sides of the same coin. Yin and yang and the idea that good and evil are inextricably tied together. That only one thing exists and that is God and that the material universe is an illusion.

Monotheism sees good and evil as seperate, opposing forces. Dualistic, God and Satan. Heaven and Hell. Good is attacked by evil.

The eastern philosophies generally teach wisdom and methodologies to cope with lifes challenges. Buddhism for example offers great wisdom and practical teaching that as a belief system can bring significant peacefulness. The four noble truths (http://www.thebigview.com/buddhism/fourtruths.html)

They present a simple yet profound system of understanding, and of achieving personal peace. It is more like a common sense psychology than a religion. The benefits of these systems are dramatic and an ever increasing number of westerners are choosing new belief systems strongly influenced by eastern philosophies. Obviously it is not all lotus blossoms in eastern thought as some extreme ignorant superstitions cause despicable mistreatment of certain groups.

Western religion, Judeo-Christian has a dizzying array of flavors and a wide gamut of varying beliefs. It is a confusing fact since most of them claim as their inspired source the same document. Catholicism of course being the largest and the mother of all the Christians since in one way or another they all descended from her. The confusion of beliefs stems from the fact that the Catholic church, which emerged more than a century after Christ, took possession of the writings of the apostles. The people were not given access to the gospels or any other writings of Christs original disciples. It remained the policy of the Church until modern times that the lay members should not read the bible. The Catholic church fabricated a religion that had no resemblance to the teachings of Christ. It was all about money and power. All the symbols, ceremonies, and celebrations were of preexisting polytheistic origins given new names. The statue of St. Peter that pilgrims have worn much ot the foot off of by kissing it is believed by many to be a statue of jupiter from the pantheon in Rome. Many books have been written on this subject. The internet has limitless references to it and there are countless rebuttals from Catholics. The whole controversy is foolish. A cursory reading of Christs teachings and instructions to his followers makes it exceedingly clear that the Catholic Church has nothing to do with them or their mission. They were sent out empty handed and for a purposes that Catholics and most others have never comprehended. Jews and Christians alike while claiming the Scriptures as Divinely inspired, and as the source of their beliefs, hold as sacrosanct basic teachings diametrically opposed to plain emphatic scriptural teaching. Jews and Christians alike adopted the polytheistic doctrine of the immortal soul and heaven and hell. These un-scriptural teachings are the source of nearly two thousand years of suffering. There is not much good to say about a system that teaches that a loving God plans to destroy or eternally torture the majority of his creations while a chosen few live forever in paradise.

Deism (from Wikipedia) is a religious and philosophical belief that a supreme being created the universe, and that this (and religious truth in general) can be determined using reason and observation of the natural world alone, without a need for either faith or organized religion. Deists tend to, but do not necessarily, reject the notion of divine interventions in human affairs, such as by miracles and revelations. These views contrast with a dependence on revelations, miracles, and faith found in many Jewish, Christian, Islamic and other theistic teachings.

Deists typically reject most supernatural events (prophecy, miracles) and tend to assert that God (or "The Supreme Architect") has a plan for the universe that is not altered either by God intervening in the affairs of human life or by suspending the natural laws of the universe. What organized religions see as divine revelation and holy books, most deists see as interpretations made by other humans, rather than as authoritative sources.

Deism became prominent in the 17th and 18th centuries during the Age of Enlightenment, especially in what is now the United Kingdom, France, United States and Ireland, mostly among those raised as Christians who found they could not believe in either a triune God, the divinity of Jesus, miracles, or the inerrancy of scriptures, but who did believe in one god. Initially it did not form any congregations, but in time deism strongly influenced other religious groups, such as Unitarianism and Universalism, which developed from it. It continues to this day in the forms of classical deism and modern deism.

This system seems an obvious reaction to the ignorant superstitions and ominous implications of un-scriptural Judeo-Christianity. It resolves many problems created by the Catholic fables. The teachings of the church being so onerous that people of good will and faith in a creator chose a kinder, gentler, and vaguer belief system. It seems to always be the case that the scripture is rejected with the distasteful religion. The baby with the bath water. This is done without regard for the fact that the tenets of the church did not come from the scripture! Judaism is included as they also, starting around 165BC, adopted the polytheistic doctrine of heaven and hell. This belief is central to the problems.

While this list of belief systems is incomplete, it is adequate as an overview of the main train of thought. With a view of how and why these different views are developed it becomes more clear that they are choices. With thoughtful consideration and adequate evidence one might be able to make a more resourceful choice. Before discussing what the scripture really teaches, it will be necessary to address the objections of those that choose to disbelieve.

post-18733-127090779213_thumb.jpg

Edited by GrumpyOne

Here's a hint to get you on track...

Compare the meaning of the song the Maku mozo! was from to the day it was sent on, take that with you to the top of a 100 foot tall pole, and... (more to come if needed)

be

Well, it was sent on the Friday after Good Friday, the meaning (I'm not quite sure of, but my guess is it has to do with religion, about how the Deity is watching and guiding), the flag pole is the mast of the ship we are on, Navigating the winds & waves of life, being challenged to sing our own song, " be true to the unique way God had created us or else."

In other words, "be yourself and make the song you sing your own"

Edited by GrumpyOne

Just so you know, I am losing sleep over this...

You said the answer could be said in one sentence.

"Jump from the train." "Step off the pole"

Is "falling" a theme for April?

CASE 46.PROCEED BEYOND THE TOP OF THE 100 FOOT HIGH POLE

Master Sekiso said, "You are at the top of the 100 foot high pole. How will you make a step further?" Another Zen Master of Ancient Times said, "One who sits on top of the 100 foot pole has not quite attained true enlightenment. Make another step forward from the top of the pole and throw one's own body into the 100,000 universes."

Mumon's Comments:

Should there be any who is able to step forward from the top of the 100 foot pole and hurl one's whole body into the entire universe, this person may call oneself a Buddha. Nevertheless, how can one step forward from the top of the 100 foot pole? Know thyself!

Should one be content and settle on top of the 100,000 foot pole,

One will harm the third eye,

And will even misread the marks on the scale.

Should one throw oneself and be able to renounce one's life,

Like one blind person leading all other blind persons,

One will be in absolute freedom (unattached from the eyes).