Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Importing Firearms Into The U S A

Hi folks,

As most of you are probably aware, "Non-Resident Aliens" (i.e. you're not an American citizen or you don't have a "Green Card") intending to import firearms and/or ammunition into the USA for competitive (or hunting) purposes are now required to obtain prior approval from the US Department of Justice, Bureau of Alcohol Tobacco & Firearms (BATF), and such approval usually takes from 6 to 12 weeks.

In an effort to archive all relevant information, I've created (and pinned) this post for future reference. At present, the following online resources should be useful:

• BATF Firearms & Explosives Import Branch
dedicated website.
BATF Form 6 NIA: Read General Information, read the FAQs, download Form 6 NIA (25kb PDF).
Application forms and supporting documentation can be faxed to the ATF at +1 202 927 1679
New fax number: 1-304-616-4551
Information & guidance from the USPSA.

-:I'll update this post as and when new information becomes available.

(Last update: 21 December 2004 22 Dec 06)

Edited by Flexmoney

• 11 months later...

Hi folks,

It has been suggested that if you plan to just transit through the USA enroute to the World Shoot in Ecuador, you can obtain a DSP-61 exemption from the US Department of State, instead of obtaining a Form 6NIA approval from the ATF.

However as it is highly likely that most competitors transiting the USA for WSXIV will enter through one US city (e.g. Los Angeles, New York etc.) but depart for Guayaquil through another US city (e.g. Houston, Miami etc.), it is my recommendation to apply for an ATF Form 6NIA approval, because I'm not convinced that you would be legal while you're "on the ground" between your city of arrival and departure.

Having said that, I am not a US lawyer (and I don't even play one on TV), so you should make your own enquiries, if you have any doubts.

• 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...

What about if you are a US citizen and want to bring your firearms back into the US after residing abroad for a number of years?. What applies in this case??

Edited by sgrc1

If you purchased the guns overseas then you need to go through the import process. You can find details on the ATF web site. I think that if they were purchased in USA then you don't need any additional paperwork. Best bet is to do a search of the ATF web site to make sure.

If you purchased the guns overseas then you need to go through the import process. You can find details on the ATF web site. I think that if they were purchased in USA then you don't need any additional paperwork. Best bet is to do a search of the ATF web site to make sure.

Txs, I checked the ATF website, form 6 instructions say:

"4. A permit is not required for a firearm or ammunition brought into the US or any possesion thereof by any person who can establish to the satisfaction of Customs that such firearm or ammunition was previously taken out of the US by such person."

I bought the shotgun in question in FL, took it out to Guatemala with me over 3 years ago, I am now moving back to TX, I have the original invoice for th FL purchase under my name. So is it really that simple, just pack and carry into the US?

• 7 months later...

There is a statement in ATF website :

"Q33. Are there any restrictions on the types of guns I can bring into the United States for hunting or for a shooting competition?

A. Yes. You may not bring in semiautomatic assault weapons unless they previously were in the United States on or before September 13, 1994; large capacity ammunition feeding devices (which generally include magazines that can hold more than 10 rounds of ammunition) made after September 13, 1994"

What this means, or if it still valid ? I can not take my AR-15 rifles and hi-cap magazines for pistols / rifles with me ?

I don't know. We (USA) had a 10yr "crime bill" that ran from 1994-2004. It expired. I would guess that is what that statement was based on, but I don't know.

What it was for us here was a ban on buying mags greater than 10 rounds and AR's with X-amount of "evil" features. That expired. So, we can now buy hicaps normal capacity mags and AR's with bayonet lugs and removable flash hinders.

While I do get the "certificate of personal possessions carried abroad" from US Customs for my pistols, the number of times I've been asked for it on re-entry to the US would be exactly zero. It does come in handy elsewhere in the world.

Doesn't make it right, just saying. If it was purchased overseas, they might want to hit you with FET or something.

I called the ATF import branch today and asked.

AR15s and military/"tactical" rifles CAN NOT be imported (back) into the US by foreigners who wants to attend competitions

And no NFA guns.

Shotguns: As long as they don't fall into what the ATF calls "non-sporting" they are ok. What that means is that shotguns for hunting are probably okay.

But NOT (semi autos) for USPSA/IPSC as they most likely have mag extensions which allows more than 5 rounds and are according to the ATF "non-sporting". And/or other "evil" features. And therefore a no-go.

Handguns: no problem as long as they do not fall under the NFA laws.

This basically mean unless USPSA can obtain a waiver from the ATF, that they can not hold level IV IPSC rifle/shotgun matches in the US since foreigners are in practice limited to competing in the Manual divisions. Unless they borro a gun from someone in the US. But using a borrowed can't be considered an ideal situation.

Question: What about the 2010 Pan American Shotgun Championships which is a Level IV Match?

Edited by Cardinal

OK...I'll weigh in. Rest assured Erik, we have already looked into this, and have worked out a solution with the BATF. I am not at liberty to discuss the exact host facility yet, as the contract is still not signed. HOWEVER, the host facility will have an FFL with an import/export license. They will also have a BATF certified vault/magazine to store competitors guns (as well as a pro shop with a gunsmith for repairs). Foreign competitors will fill out the transfer paperwork, and ship their guns to the host facility where they will be secured for the competition and checked out daily and returned at the end of the day. This ensures that semi auto guns with extensions can be brought into the country. I am now negotiating to allow the competitors to bring them with them, and then have our FFL tag them and take posession of them at the point of entry at the airport so I can save the competitors the cost of having to ship them back and forth to the on-site FFL with the import/export license. The only sticking point I currently have is with the SPAS, as they are classified as a "destructive device" by BATF. They MAY allow them in on a "shipped basis only", as long as they go to the FFL direct. That is still to be determined. So, before you go making a determination, realize that there is a LOT going on behind the scenes that you don't know about. BATF does negotiate with large venues contrary to popular belief. I am wading through all the beuracratic red tape right now, and would appreciate it if you could refrain from jumping to conclusions until I have posted the results of those negotiations.

Thank You,

Jeff LaFave

2010 Pan American Shotgun Championship MD

• 5 months later...

AR15s and military/"tactical" rifles CAN NOT be imported (back) into the US by foreigners who wants to attend competitions

And no NFA guns.

I understand AR-15 rifles can not be imported back to US, but what about a sporting non-mil-spec AR-15 rifle made in Finland where is no AR-15 marking and no "evil" features like this :

p7175488small.jpg

p7175483small.jpg

Parts are even black all round, evening sun is just doing it's tricks to camera...

And no NFA guns.

I understand AR-15 rifles can not be imported back to US, but what about a sporting non-mil-spec AR-15 rifle made in Finland where is no AR-15 marking and no "evil" features like this :

Parts are even black all round, evening sun is just doing it's tricks to camera...

The rifle might be sporting to you, but what really matters is what the ATF thinks.

There aren't any published rules exactly what sporting/non-sporting is. The more features from the list below you have, the less likely it will be that your rifle will be deemed "sporting".

The non-inclusive list of "features":

* Ability to accept a large capacity magazine

* Folding/telescoping stocks

* Pistol grips

* Ability to accept a bayonet

* Flash suppressors / hiders

* Threaded barrels

* Integrated, military-style bipods

* Grenade launchers

* Night sights

As far as I can see, your rifle has at least two of the features mentioned above (pistol grip, capacity to accept a large cap mag), and probably a third (threaded barrel), so the likelihood of it being considered sporting by the ATF is roughly 0%, but without asking and getting a ruling, it's impossible to know for sure.

Not being called AR15 and not being milspec matter little to the ATF. If it's a semi-auto rifle and doesn't look like a traditional hunting rifle, which yours clearly doesn't, you're pretty much SOL.

Edited by gose