Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Organizing a Gun Safe for Maximum Space

fuzzysights

For my rifles I removed the notched shelf and use these rods with velcro tips to allow more rifles to be stored in a smaller area: http://www.uniquetek...6/product/T1327

Good luck!

Ha! Cool how the last step in the installation part of the video is... "buy more guns! cool.gif

I'm with you Flex the video was cool but..............It seemed easy getting to the back guns but she didn't have a beer in each hand?

Actually I have one of the rotary racks on the gun-racks website and it works great. I just use it to hold my guns that I am working on in shop but might have to put it into the safe or buy another one.

It is angled so that it hold the guns well even with out the strap. I.E. my 3 year has knocked any out yet:)

Only non gun stuff in my vault is the coins and my legal papers.

The hangers are simply stainless steel bathroom hardware that I picked up at Lowes. Coat them in whatever you are comfortable with. I've tried tool dip with so-so results. Heat shrink was okay... To tell you the truth, what you see on there now is just like they came out of the package, no coating. Most of my stuff is hard chromed, but even the stuff that isn't shows no wear marks from the hangers, and I've had this system going for about 6 years now in that safe. No plans to change.

There are more of the hooks on the interior walls, holding some of my more eclectic stuff that I dont get out much. Also all of the revo's and .22 autos are on the top shelf. I'm a little OCD, so all the stuff on the door kinda matches.

I do have an idea to scrap the current rifle rack that is in there and replace with one of my own design, I'm thinking I can get at least 4 more rifles in there if I do. We'll see. :rolleyes:

Any chance you could snap a picture of bathroom hardware? Also, how is it mounted into door?

• 2 weeks later...

Any chance you could snap a picture of bathroom hardware? Also, how is it mounted into door?

its just screwed to the inner door panel with the supplied screws that came with the hooks.

Are they towel hooks? I second the request for a close up pic.

Thanks

• 4 weeks later...

Only non gun stuff in my vault is the coins and my legal papers.

The hangers are simply stainless steel bathroom hardware that I picked up at Lowes. Coat them in whatever you are comfortable with. I've tried tool dip with so-so results. Heat shrink was okay... To tell you the truth, what you see on there now is just like they came out of the package, no coating. Most of my stuff is hard chromed, but even the stuff that isn't shows no wear marks from the hangers, and I've had this system going for about 6 years now in that safe. No plans to change.

There are more of the hooks on the interior walls, holding some of my more eclectic stuff that I dont get out much. Also all of the revo's and .22 autos are on the top shelf. I'm a little OCD, so all the stuff on the door kinda matches.

I do have an idea to scrap the current rifle rack that is in there and replace with one of my own design, I'm thinking I can get at least 4 more rifles in there if I do. We'll see. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the idea, Ken. I went the HD today and picked up 4 of the hooks to try it out. I have 2 Buckmarks with 10 in barrels - they are hard to store. Now they live on the inner door. Only hard thing was planning my layout - My closed safe door touches my racks and shelves. Looks like I have room for 2 or 3 more.

Here are a couple pics of mine. I apologize for the low quality.

photo_7_4.jpg

photo_2_5_.jpg

photo_6_5.jpg

Those pics must be from your crapy iPhone. Lol as I type this from my iPhone.

Going to try these on mine looks like a very cool way to add a little more room!

• 2 weeks later...

those are almost the exact same hooks as i use. i see you've also caught on to how to position them on the particular weapon to ensure that it doesnt move laterally and fall. ("trap" the weapon between the hooks)

He also has them positioned where they don't sweep the room when the door is opened. I like that. I'm sure they are stored unloaded, but it's a mental thing with me.

• 1 year later...

necroposting this to say thanks for the good advice (and examples) on how to organize a safe. I've finally bought a full-size 40+ gun safe, and the pics in this thread (ken hebert and prreed10 in particular) helped me save 5 full shelves by making good use of the interior door space.

• 1 year later...

Raising a thread from the past...

Great ideas here. I'm struggling with a cluttered safe and am exploring options. Already have all ammo and mags in separate JobSite boxes, which I really love. Any more testimonies on the UniqueTek rifle rods?

Hello: I just ordered some of the UniqueTek rods for my long guns. They are not here yet so I can't say if they will work like they say they will. I made a wood pistol rack that I can take all of the pistols out of the top shelf at once. Works great! I forgot who told me that I should have two large safes, one for pistols and one for long guns. Thanks, Eric

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

^^^^^^ This was the best advice I got. Buy more safe than you need. In my case, I bought the biggest safe I could get in my room. Which was twice the size I needed. 5 years later, I wish it was bigger. Lol.

I recently bought rifle rods to help maximize long gun storage, especially with scoped rifles. Now I need to figure out which pistol rack I want to use. And maybe a door organizer. I need a tiny person to close in my safe to check clearance between the door and internal shelves.